After a rage run where six men took up 3/4 of the track just lounging and ogling all the women running, I need to remember the good from today. Because today was a good day. Despite a subset of humans being awful.
Three positive things:
- Unexpected (nice) comments/compliments from strangers and friends. I had some nice messages in my inbox this morning that made my day (thaaaank you) and some outside the interwebs. See…humans can be/are good! <3
- Being a part of a/this “community.” People talk about runners and their camaraderie or the Crossfit community, but I think it exists everywhere (if you look for it). There are lifters who spot strangers in the gym, runners who carry each other across the finish line, and people you’ve never met that cheer you on from hundreds of miles away. I’m fortunate enough to have finagled my way into these places.
- My sister being my partner in crime. Our relationship was rocky (to say the least) when we were younger, but we’re the closest we’ve ever been. She’s my friend, shopping partner, and occasional workout buddy. Plus she gave me my beautiful niece and nephew.
What are yours?
This Monday hasn’t felt much like a Monday what with its lack of awfulnes. However, I did forget gym stuffs at home so my evening is a bit wonky.
I need to do some modified chest things and lot of push ups because I really don’t want to fight the traffic to the gym. And then, I’ll need to muster the motivation to run outside for 30 minutes. Not the most difficult of feats, but, to be honest, I’m already pantless on my couch with dinner in my belly, my uke begging to be practiced, with an episode of Battlestar Galactica on…
Makes running and doing anything else much more difficult.
BUT. I finally replaced my Yurbuds today. I lost one of the earbud things the night before my last half marathon so I’ve been sans headphone since March. MARCH! I’m excited to run to music again tonight.
Here’s hoping its not still 90 degrees when I got out to run…
My friend tagged me in this on Facebook…to post three positive things for the next five days.
Last week, I wrote on a sticky note, “Write down something positive about something, someone, or yourself every day.” I didn’t really stick to it, so this “challenge” comes at a good time.
I share WAY more in this space than I do on Facebook so I’m going to write them here (maybe there too - I don’t know).
Here are my three positive things/things that make me happy today:
- My mom. She lets me commandeer her time and I love that she’s a short drive away if I need/want to see her.
- Technology making 1500 miles between two best friends feel like no distance at all.
- When that perfect song comes on shuffle that you didn’t know you needed to hear. It might make you laugh or make you cry and sometimes it makes you do both. I just hope you’re in the car where you can turn the volume up so loudly you can feel the beat through the speakers and sing your little heart out.
Anyone else care to join?
and got hit in the face with a racquetball.
It stung for a second.
Mostly I just laughed.
He feels just terrible.
Every time I think about it, I laugh even more.
Let’s hope I don’t bruise.
to all the women i have encountered in the last two months:
you were not put on this planet to be skinny.
you were put her to be strong and brave and fearless. to have compassion and find grace. to move your body and laugh hard. to overcome and then prosper. to explore, discover, and GROW. to encourage, give, and love.love.love.
To all my ladies. Even the ones I haven’t met yet.
I should probably do more work.
I did, however, find a healthy Chicken Pad Thai recipe for next week’s food stuff so that’s something.
After consulting my tattooed friend, I’ve looked at a dozen or so Instagram accounts for local tattoo artists and I’ve narrowed it down to the ones I like.
But how do you decide what to actually put on your body when the options are infinite? My brother, sister, and I have all decided we’d like to get a tattoo to memorialize some people we’ve lost (most specifically my dad 21 years ago, my grandma last summer, and my grandpa a month ago). If you have ideas, send them! Some of you are brilliant with this kind of thing.
You know what will make your head spin and give you hot flashes? Seeing your newly deceased grandpa’s name pop up on you phone. Apparently, I saved my grandparents home phone number in my cell as “Grandpa Z.” Way to go, Ryan
In happier news, you know you work in the right place when you google “Vampire Diaries Happy Birthday gifs” to send to your assistant principal who is more than 30 years older than you.
I should probably do more work.
- Today was LEG DAY. Y’all know its my favorite, but these gams were a bit tired after two days of stair climbing.
- My boss talked to me today (first time since I started back on Monday) and it was a good conversation. Calling it a win.
- I’m about to go watch Dazed & Confused on a rooftop with friends. Outdoor movies are one of my Top Ten Favorite Things In The Universe so I’m pretty pumped.
- It’s still pretty hot out so I’m hoping I don’t sweat my way through the movie. I made an effort to shower after the gym (so as not to offend the other patrons) and it would be sad to see such a good shower go to waste.