- I have had two really good body image days. Rarely do these things happen back to back. I think this means I’ve been treating my body kindly. For the time being, I’ve found some sort of balance. Riding it as long as it lasts.
- Speaking of treating my body kindly: 5n5 update. 5.5lb or 3% total loss. Not exactly 5% loss, but nonetheless a total win for me. Maybe another 4lbs in September? Let’s hope so.
- I’ve been feeling hyper vulnerable lately and I’m not 100% certain why. Work life, social life, dating life. Just all of it. Please go away, Self Doubt. I do not like you.
- Shoulders/back things plus 4 tough treadmill miles. I felt super dehydrated during this run and it made things less than fun. 70 oz of water prior to the run was not enough. Drink more water, Ryan. Guzzle, guzzle, guzzle.
- Proof that cats aren’t graceful: Marley the Cat ran full speed into my bedroom door as I was trying to shut it. Even my cat is a spaz. Like owner, like kitty cat. Is that a thing?
Tomorrow promises to be pretty awesome. Morning run (if I type it, it will be true, right?), lots of interaction with my lovely teachers, and someone has purchased tickets to see Jason Mraz at Winspear Opera House. I’m in charge of picking a place for dinner…I should probably go do that.
- Melissa’s Chili Cornbread Skillet adding Hatch chiles in the cornbread, as she suggested. I tested this. SO GOOD.
- Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala. Not even sure this counts as cooking since its a jar of sauce and chicken. As such, its not the most delicious thing in my fridge/freezer (see above).
In other food news:
- I’ve been craving a burger so I picked up one of those pre-made patties in the meat section at Kroger. They had mixed Hatch chiles and (I think) tiny cubes of cheese into the patty. After cooking it, I pared it down a bit as it was SO big and then topped it with a spoonful of guacamole on a whole wheat bun. Proof that eating at home can be more delicious than eating out.
- I got bored so I made Blueberry Hand Pies. I made circular ones. They look like ugly blueberry ravioli, but they’re quite delicious! I must work on my craftmanship the next time I make them.
Man, I love food.
My siblings and I were all trying to agree on something because we wanted to do something to remember both my grandmother we lost last summer and my grandpa who died two months ago.
Agreeing was tough. Especially since we were never in the same place altogether to discuss the options and none of us had a really clear vision of what we wanted.
I worked with James at Elm Street Tattoo. Oh lawd, this guy was patient with me. I don’t have the most artistic eye so I went in with the only idea the three of us had agreed on - state outlines to signify where my mom and her family are from (Illinois), my dad and his family (New York), and that we were all settled in Texas.
After a couple of ideas, we decided on a claddagh with the three state outlines in the heart.
We’re part Irish and my grandma once bought me a claddagh ring and explained its meaning to me on a trip to the Thousand Islands.
All in all, I am very pleased. Each piece of it has special significance to me.
Other notes about the tattoo:
- My tattoo is on my ribs/side.
- I’ve heard tattoos on the ribs REALLY hurt. And yeah, it hurt, but it wasn’t awful. For me, the pain was worse afterwards. During, it was all bearable. After…oy. Rough, y’all. Rough.
- Do not wear a dress to get a tattoo when said tattoo is going on your side. In my defense, I thought I would just talk to someone today about a tattoo and not actually get to go through the whole process. I was mistaken.
- Related: I’m fairly certain that Oliver Peck (of Ink’D fame) saw my boob as the little paper thing they had me tape to my chest came undone. Oops.
- I was all kinds of exposed on the table. At one point, I was trying to cover myself up, but I just gave up. Yeah, I’ve got extra skin, stretch marks, and my body is far from perfect (even after losing more than 100lbs). Oh well. The world will go on. It was definitely an exercise in Get-The-Fuck-Over-Yourself.
- I’m undecided whether I’ll share a picture on social media or not. It feels like a no-brainer, in some ways - hey, you posted about it, now post a visual! But, then again, its something I did for me AND its in just a spot that its tough to get a shot without some side boob action. Maybe I’ll feel differently as it starts to heal. We’ll see.
- Higdon training plan called for 5 miles this weekend, but since I feel like I’m finding my running legs again, I felt the need to do 8 miles (plan calls for 9 miles next weekend).
- I ran my 8 miles on the treadmill last night. Its not ideal but I can’t even tell you how much more I look forward to my run and my whole weekend when I just get it out of the way.
- Walked 2.5 miles with some lovely people this morning to shake my legs out. Then I foam rolled like a b. My legs are already so sore that I’m afraid what its going to feel like when the mileage really goes up. Yikes.
- I ate like an asshole yesterday, y’all. There were entirely too many free sweets being handed to me and I, like a fool, accepted them all.
- However, scale till says I’m down 3.5lbs from Tuesday’s weigh in.
- I have to go into school for a tiny bit today, but other than that have no plans currently. What should I do?! Movie? Tattoo consult? Eep.